Schools and Districts too often have a blurry vision of what “technology” means and can do to enhance and support teaching and learning. Technology plans litter the floor of education – well intended roll outs of piece meal plans and wasted educational dollars. In today’s learning environment it is imperative that educational leaders are digitally literate and can help shape a vision of what next generation learning environments look like.
Next Generation Learning Environments (NGLE) are not laptop carts, computer labs, tablets, laptops or online curriculum. NGLE requires an unconstrained vision – and a complete rethink of EVERY step of educational delivery. It is not a budget issue – it is a reinvent and reallocation challenge!
Key considerations to creating NGLE’s are a clear and supporting vision that will lay the foundation for a success. Below are 6 foundational pillars that are critical to shaping future of education.
- Broadband (to every student home)
- Curriculum & PD (web enabled curriculum & assessment)
- Digital Policy & Tools (every student has a take home device)
- Facilities (schools look more like starbucks & less “bells & cells”)
- Finance (a plan to support and measure)
- Infrastructure (shift to cloud & everything has to work all the time)